Saturday, May 19, 2007

Health Claims and Advertising

This morning I realized that yesterday's blog may have been a little confusing, so I made a trip to the grocery store so I could find some examples.

Luckily, I found two really good ones.

Firstly, on the side of a certain cereal box is the following statement, (it appears besides the Heart and Stroke Foundations "Health Check" symbol.)

"This cereal is low in fat and is a source of fibre. Emphasizing grain products such as cereals and increasing fibre intake are components of healthy eating. This cereal financially supports the Health Check education program of the Heart and Stroke Foundation. This is not an Endorsement"

Sounds pretty healthy to me. In fact, after reading this statement and noticing the 'Health Check' symbol I might buy this cereal for my kids.

However, at closer inspection we realize that "financially supports" means "gave money to" and "this is not an endorsement" means "This symbol does not mean our cereal was 'approved' by the Heart and Stroke Foundation".

My next example is on my bag of Oatmeal.

There is a little green check mark on the front of the bag, with a statement that the product is a "Smart Selection Made Easy". What they don't tell you is that the "Smart Selections" symbol is actually a trademark of the Oatmeal company.

The problem I have is that both of these products are descent food products. And, these advertisements are not misleading per se. However they do take advantage of the fact that not all of us may have the knowledge or the time to dig around and find the true meaning behind these claims.

This is why I think its best that when shopping for food, stick with the strong silent types that don't have to 'scream' about their health benefits.

No one ever questions whether or not eating an apple or a pear is good for you.

BP

Fasting Diet, Circuit Training

Stumble Upon Toolbar