I love food.
And while I'm definitely not going to be confused with a great cook, I am not afraid to get creative with my food.
If you know my views on 'Health', you know that I don't really beleive in the idea of healthy foods (within reason).
I'm not a fan of food-like products like most prepackaged foods (or really anything that comes in a box), but when it comes to actually cooking a great meal my goal will always be flavor over function...mostly because I think that all foods have a place in our diet.
Regardless, I love it when I get a chance to get creative and make great tasting food.
Now typically my creativity is extremely simple, but in my never ending quest to create great tasting dishes I occasionally stumble upon something worth sharing, and that some nutrition purists may even consider..gasp..healthy.
Take my Dr. Seuss inspired..Green Mac and Cheese.
What you will need:
- A pot
- some form of pasta (I used Rotini)
- Avocado (I used a full avocado for a serving for two)
- Havarti cheese (about a 1/4 cup grated)
- Butter (teaspoon, just to keep the pasta separated)
- Whole Milk (quick dribble at the end)
- Spring Onions (be liberal with these, they make everything awesome!)
- Dill (to taste)
- Chicken (optional)
- Boil some salted water in a pot..when the water is boiling at a roll drop in your pasta..let it cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Once your pasta is nice and tender, drain it, add some butter, and then throw it back into the pot.
- Add 1 nicely mushed up Avocado (yes, 'mushed up' is the technical term)
- Stir like crazy.
- Add the Havarti, Dill and Spring onions and a little salt and pepper
- keep on stirring.
- Add the sliced up chicken (cook it first).
- pour in a little milk until you get your desired level of creaminess.
and tada - quick and easy, Green Mac and Cheese!
Like I said - It's not going to win any awards, but its fun, simple and tasty!