Monday, June 04, 2007

Craig Ballantyne Workouts

There are a lot of things that my friend Craig Ballantyne and I don't agree on (We share some very different philosophies when it comes to some aspects of nutrition), but one thing is for sure, when it comes to advice on working out, Craig is one of the only people I will ever trust.

So the other day, when I received an email from Craig that was about "fat burners" I felt I had to share it here.

When ever I am questioned about 'metabolism' and 'metabolism boosters' I'm quick to point out that nutrition plays a very, very small role in increasing your metabolism. Typically, I then go on to explain that the only real way you can increase your metabolism is through exercise.

However, Craig does an amazing job in the following email explaining exactly what type of exercise you need to be doing to increase you metabolism.

I hate to give you the bad news, because I wish there was an effective fat loss supplement as much as the next person. A real "fat burner" just doesn't exist. BUT, there are ways to boost your metabolism without supplements...

1) Strength training - aiming for 8 reps per set.

2) Interval training - rather than long, slow boring cardio.

3) Extra bodyweight circuits - done either in the AM or PM.

4) A whole, natural foods diet, rich in high-fiber fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, and high-protein foods.

Craig's rules are simple and easy to follow. All you have to do is commit to them, and follow them consistently, and you will boost your metabolism.

Straight up, if you want the very best workout information on the net today then visit Craig's site TurbulenceTraining.com

BP

Fasting Diet, Circuit Training

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

billy said...

Pretty much the same philosophy as John Berardi presents in his book "The Metabolism Advantage", although I suspect that the role of "boosting metabolism" is slightly exaggerated by today's fitness gurus.

Berardi's program works pretty well for body composition change though.

Brad Pilon said...

Hi Billy,

Yeah I agree with you on both parts. End of the day, your metabolism is a combination of how much you weigh, the make-up of that weight, and how much you move that weight.

That's why I think Craig has hit the nail on the head with his workout programs and their non-competing super-sets.

Lots of Demand on lots of muscle mass, that's how you get the job done in the gym.

BP

Anonymous said...

Craigs workouts ROCK! Wouldn't be where I am without them!

http://womensdietandfitness.com