Monday, July 07, 2008

The butcher, the baker, the candle stick maker

It's cottage time again, which means I'm hiding out up in Northern Ontario.

I'm spending my days playing with my wife and daughter (she's only one, but man does she love the water), and I'm spending my evenings working on some very exciting new Eat Stop Eat projects.

During the day I have a great routine. I get up early and make breakfast for the family. After breakfast we head into town for groceries.

I love small towns and small town businesses so when we go into town we head straight to the local baker and the local butcher (sorry, no candle stick maker).

Thanks to Eat Stop Eat, I'm no longer afraid of eating carbs, which is perfect because summer wouldn't be the same without fresh baked scones from Don's Bakery.

(Get there early, or they'll be gone)

After we get some scones (and maybe some muffins), we head down the street to the butcher.

I love my butcher (aptly named "The Cottage Butcher"). Any place where you can walk in after being away for the winter and not only do they remember you, they remember your daughter's name is a great place to support.


(Pea-meal bacon, some sirloin, and maybe some lamb)

After groceries we head back to the cottage and spend the day at the dock. At some point during the day I'll get a workout in out-doors using my blast straps and weighted vest.

Then it's back into town for our daily ice cream.

It is a simple routine that is based on eating the foods I like with the people I love.

Now here is my cottage-life realization: I think cravings are artificial. They are a product of advertising.

Maybe a better description is that cravings are a behavior that is learned through convenience and repeat exposures.

I have often wondered, if my all time favorite dessert is creme brule, then how come this isn't what I crave when I get cravings? Why don't I drive the streets late at night, trying to find a restaurant that has great creme brule?

As fun as this sounds, this is just not something that I have ever had the desire to do.

When I am at cottage I am at least an hour away from a Tim Horton's. And if you read my blog then you know that I have issues with Tim Horton's Coffee and Tim Horton's donuts.

These are my major craving weaknesses.

But when I'm up north, no cravings. Not one.

Again, I believe this is because a) there are no Tim Horton's around and b) I have not seen any Tim Horton's commercials or signs for over a week.

The next time you have a craving, think about what you are actually craving. Is it one of your favorite all time treats, or is it something close by that is convenient?

BP

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

billy said...

I think that cravings are a means to an end.

The end being the psychological or emotional comfort brought about by indulging (or over-indulging) in sweet, or fatty, foods.

Of course it makes sense that your cravings would choose an appropriate outlet, one that you can actually get. Your body isn't dumb, it knows it's pointless to crave something you can't have. So it finds something suitably available, turns on the cravings, and with a little luck, you'll happily oblige.

I know I did some of this over the holiday...