Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Why We Eat

Here is a great post from the TTmembers.com forums about the benefits of fasting at how it teaches you to recognize when you are truly hungry...

"But, to throw another curve at my doubts, yesterday during my fast, when I really wanted to say to hell with it and make myself a gorgeous pizza with olive oil and fresh basil (conveniently ignoring that I would have to let the dough rest for twelve hours), I opened my pdf of Eat Stop Eat, looking for some sort of loophole. What I found instead was John Barban on page 62 saying, "I think if people’s lives were a little more exciting they wouldn’t need to eat so much to get some joy out of their day.” Ouch. That one hurt. It also kept me from breaking my fast."


The truth is, for all the reasons we eat, hunger is very, very far down the list.

we eat because we are bored, or out of habit, or because we are with friends, or because we were invited out for dinner, or because it's 'time' to eat, and then occasionally we eat because we are really, truly hungry.

Something to consider the next you hear someone say "I'm starving, let's go get something to eat".


BP

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is important that if you are in the habit of overeating to make it positive. You should eat 5 or 6 small meals to rev up your metabolism. If you make sure the meals are healthy you can still eat alot while losing weight.

Brad Pilon said...

Hi Clinton,

In my opinion there really is no foreseeable benefit to overeating.

Unfortunately, Eating 5 or 6 small meals will do nothing to rev up your metabolism.

The best advice would be to avoid overeating, and as you said, when you do eat try to make your meals "healthy" by including as much variety as possible.

BP

billy said...

I think that eating 5 or 6 small meals can help you lose weight, but not by revving up your metabolism. It simply keeps you from getting so hungry that you say "Screw it all" and end up elbow deep in a bag of Doritos. Fasting works (for one reason) because you take your hunger past that point, almost to the point of not being hungry anymore.